Thursday, September 3, 2009

Winds of Change

By influence and support of my good friend, Amy, I am going to attempt "blogging."

The realm I am going to attempt to examine, dissect, analyze is CHANGE.

There are so many types of change and many areas of my personal life that are definitely changing right now. If I can share my experiences and also my opinions of change, perhaps others can be enlightened that while sometimes scary, because of the "unknown," change can present new accomplishments, new goals that one was not even aware of before.

Amy's recent blog post about Ghandi's famous quote of BEING the change that one wants in the world convinced me that this is a fabulous topic that needs more coverage. Personally, I invite you to post your experiences and your coping mechanisms. Change is constant... we all go through it whether we choose to or not.

"Winds of change," "Change of Power," Progress and Change... Change is all around us.

People choose to change. Whether an emotional battle (internal or with others), we can CHOOSE to make improvements. Women change their hair colour constantly. We change our clothes because they don't help us "feel" the way we want. We change our wall colours, change our curtains, change our minds.

When we realize that emotional change takes serious reflection and serious work, we decide to change the easier things... surroundings, friends, activities.

"Be the change you want to see in the world." What are you feeling is changing? Can you step up and BE the change? Does the change feel like a wind or does it feel like a ton of bricks? What can you do to accept the change and perhaps make it a "change for the better?"

4 comments:

  1. I saw that bumper sticker yesterday - be the change you want to see in the world. The change I wanted to see out of that guy was to do a better job playing the rush hour game...it's called bumper to bumper traffic for a reason!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On a serious note, though, I had a discussion with a coworker yesterday about swallowing the hard pill and jumping off a cliff. sometimes the difficult decisions need to be made and you don't know where they will lead...two roads diverged in a yellow wood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to have such an issue with change... I fought it with everything I had - and was miserable. Change IS imminent, but in some cases we can control it and in other cases we can be its catalyst. Ghandi is right - be the change you want to see in the WORLD, not necessarily the change you want personally. For instance, volunteer at your child's school in order to make his or her learning experience a better one, but don't try to change your husband because you don't like the way he folds the laundry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jack - Thank you for both your posts, the comical and the profound. As I search this topic, I'm actually excited to dig in to how it isn't change that people fear... it is the unknown.
    Amy - Apparently, you are right (surprise, surprise, huh?), I do have a lot to say. I'm trying to organize all my thoughts and feelings about Change and finding I have a LOT! One that I'm currently "steeping" in my mind is how I used to feel about Change... so I'll leave my first cliffhanger about that.
    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete