Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Change Your Locks

Last week, I was sternly informed by my seven year old daughter not to call myself "stupid." "Idiot" is not allowed, either... nor the many more profane descriptions that were swirling around in my head that (thankfully!) did not escape my mouth in front of her.

My husband was in California on business, and on the day of his return, I locked us out of our house.

Ironic since I had left to pick up my daughter from school, get her changed for her ballet class and pack the prepared snacks for the car trip from dance to her Brownie meeting. I was feeling pretty good about handling such a day "all on my own." His flight wasn't due to arrive until 11 P.M. that night.

Is it that these things really do happen when you're feeling at your best - or is it just that they are so much more noticeable? Like red stoplights when you are driving in a hurry. When you aren't late, the green lights aren't nearly as appreciated... they just are what they are, green.

Hope helped me deal with the situation. She was quite matter-of-fact and very supportive... of course, that did not stop her from telling everyone we encountered how foolish her mother had been. (It's okay - I'm laughing about it now.)

We discussed the ability to cope, problem solve and deal with not being able to control a situation. It also led to us talking about homeless people - those who live in cars when they have to, as well as those who don't even own the luxury of a car. It ended up being a life lesson, and we spent some quality time together.

Her words have echoed in my mind since that day, however. I've been reflecting on the negative messages our brains send to the subconscious (stupid, foolish, dumb), and how their impact affects me so much more than positives (pride, triumph, success).

Most of it is due to my personality, but I do seem to openly welcome negative feedback and tend to lock out positive. I'm a hypocrite. I am striving to teach my little girl to be confident and proud, while I shut out those messages to myself. Mistakes happen. I believe that as long as you learn from it, a mistake is just a lesson that has caught you off-guard.

Once back inside, I distinctly grabbed the spare keys and vowed never to do that again. This also has me wanting to change the locks on my psyche. To be an example to my daughter, I do need to practice what I preach. It requires a lot of work - I wish I could just phone a Locksmith. However, like locking yourself out of the house, sometimes the greatest lessons are the hardest to endure. It also requires patience and being aware of a lack of control. At least I can practice this inside, enjoying the comforts of my home.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent! I think I am going to quote you in my personal journal "A mistake is just a lesson that has caught you off-guard" Love your thoughts Marni, I think we are quite a bit alike in certain regards my dear...oh, and just a thought: maybe you are ALREADY doing your next job: writing/author? :o) Carrie

    ReplyDelete