Wednesday, January 6, 2010

When Changes Suck...

Is that when you grab a lolly-pop?
See a change you want, and you view it as an opportunity. Have one thrown upon you that you do not want, and you feel oppressed. It's a matter of control.

Most people cannot control the changes that others impose. I'm one of those people. I lack authority and therefore lack influence as well. My opinions probably matter to about three people... maybe five.

The challenge is taking the changes that others make, the ones I do not want, and creating them into opportunities. That requires a lot of optimism and motivation. And putting up with and creating your own bullshit.

Let's be honest. It's about perspective. Sometimes changing your own views (which can involve fooling yourself) can be fairly simple. At those times, I sort of pretend that I don't know all the details. "Ignorance is bliss" is NOT just a phrase.

After years of still learning about myself, I admit it: I am a control freak. I don't want to be a dictator or rule over others, but I only feel good when I know what is going on. When I know expectations and results. I can enjoy improvements completely, but set-backs can freak me out and frustrate me thoroughly. Finding the energy to look on the bright side, make lemonade of lemons and all that crap overwhelms me most the time. I was not built with any optimistic DNA.

"Things work out for the best." Or is that just a lie we tell ourselves to get us through whatever we are up against? There are days I just want to give up. There are days I feel like all that I've tried and achieved doesn't seem to matter. There are days I just don't know what to do or wonder if I WANT to try to do any more.

Is that giving up my control? Maybe my second cup of coffee this morning will provide some answers. Ah, ignorance IS bliss - but coffee and chocolate can always help.

2 comments:

  1. I always say "Ignorance is bliss....and I want to be happy!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. It should be noted that this post is in reflection of ALL changes that you have no control. Including but not limited to such things as... a tax hike that you do not support, losing a job you love, your parents getting a divorce, a favorite family member moving, your best friend turning on you, the death of someone truly close to you... etc.

    Obviously sometimes "ignorance" takes on a different role - it becomes more about just tricking yourself into not thinking or focusing on it.

    ReplyDelete