Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Big Changes

The past several years have involved some drastic changes in my career path, which has greatly affected my schedule.  I am a definite "creature of habit" and get quite upset if my routine is disturbed.

After closing my own business in 2008, my journey back to the "working world" hasn't been exactly smooth.  I am not blessed to feel I have a "calling" anymore, but I do have skills and experience that I feel compelled to share in order to earn money for some sort of living.

Working part-time was truly perfect for me.  As a mother, I truly valued being able to be home when my daughter ended her school days.  Cleaning the house and running errands during the week, I now view as gifts.  And I really, really loved going to lunch with my friends!

However, when I found myself taking the next step in employment, the job offer that fit my needs the best at this point in my life is a full-time role, Monday - Friday, downtown Peoria.  Major adjustment.  The changes that I have had to make daily (cleaning the house on weekends, putting myself together by 7:30 a.m. every day, unable to be home until almost 5:30 p.m.) have also led to a change in the checking account and some better financial security.

I also made a move from Event Planning into Accounting.  At the end of the work day, I usually don't "take anything with me," and so far, no one has called or texted me when I am out of the office.  Not that I am not committed to my job, but with Events, I was consumed.  Perfection of all events was my life goal.  Any aspect that went wrong, I amplified that it was my fault and there HAD to have been something I could have done to prevent it.
 
So this big change has been a healthy change for me.  I am still assisting Peoria Ballet with their events and able to be a co-Chair of the Hospitality team at my daughter's school.  I can only look forward to where I can take all these skills in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment