Friday, April 19, 2019

Adjustments to Expectations

"You can't move on to a new life until you unpack the old one - or burn it down to the ground." - Danielle LaPorte
 
Most times I don't want to watch it burn... There were so many aspects of my life in Illinois that I loved, but there is a balance of letting things go in order to free you for what is possible. I honestly didn't think of my move as starting a "new life." I just focused on the opportunities and the excitement. Definitely the excitement.
 
Throughout my relocation, I limited the amount of time that I looked at the life I was leaving. I still do. The pain, hurt and sadness is too much. It was definitely flawed and challenging, as most lives are, but I directed my attention on what I needed to do.
 
It's not quite been two years yet, but I know I was changing for a while before my job offer from Austin was extended.
 
Driving around different parts of my new city, I already have feelings of nostalgia from my arrival and acclimating. It hasn't gone nearly as smoothly as I had hoped, yet, when I look at my current life, I still find the belief that it will somehow all be okay. And there is still a slim chance that it will even work out to be fantastic
 
So, there is a balance between treasuring memories and directing attention to what lies ahead. I remain open to chances and being mindful to live my current life one moment at a time. Every moment is about the perspective you have with it. I am not where I want to be... but I am closer than I have ever been, and there is a lot to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment