Thursday, August 17, 2017

Say No to a Sweet - Just Once

"There will always be more cookies."  Not my most profound statement, but discussing health and eating habits a couple months ago with friends, this sentence just came out of my mouth... yet, it is SO true.

Whether you are battling weight, trying to maintain or facing health concerns, take a look at how you view food - especially snacks and treats.

I indulge.  I do.  Tempted by a warm chocolate chip cookie or a moist, dark chocolate brownie, damn, I can definitely enjoy myself.  But it doesn't happen every time.  Known as "the chocolate girl" when I was young, I have been able to change my relationship with desserts... and if I can do it, anyone can.  Call it willpower or self-discipline, but I think that it's just logic and reason.

For every occasion with a cake, there will be more celebrations with cake.  Say "no" just once.  See how it goes.  Remind yourself that there will be more cookies. More are made every day by companies and people.  Seriously - when was the last time you were in a grocery store or market and the aisles of baked goods were empty?  Even zombie apocalypse shows have baked goods still in them.  They are everywhere!

Now, if you find that you just cannot refrain - even once.  That this pastry in front of you is stronger than any care you have for yourself, take one bite and really focus on how it makes you feel.  If nothing else compares to the joy of the taste and the calories (and fat) are actually worth it, then own it.  Be happy.

Yet, if you find that you aren't even enjoying the flavor as much as the expectation, don't finish it.  Toss it.  We have been raised in a society that lectures us to not waste food, but if the satisfaction isn't legitimate, then we ARE wasting the food... and at our own personal value, as well.

I would rather feel a little guilty for throwing away part of a cookie than physically feel bad and finishing it.  There will be more cookies, and the appreciation will be so much more enjoyable when you don't partake every time.  Don't have the attitude of "I've said no three times, so I know deserve this."  Instead, take the power.  Look at the item and ask "Does this treat deserve ME?"

Please try, and let me know how it goes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment