Thursday, March 11, 2010

Change the Clocks!

This weekend is Daylight Saving Time - that special time of year when we run around the house changing all the clocks one hour ahead. The minute you think you have them all accurate, you find one that still needs an update. Don't forget the one in the car. And now we have to also remember that the smarter clocks change themselves. Ah, technology.

I used to hate Daylight Saving Time. Losing that one precious hour would throw me off until Autumn... when we scramble to update all the clocks once again. We get so giddy about having an "extra hour" in the Fall that we don't realize we probably use all sixty minutes doing this time-change dance each year.

When was the last time you heard of a "drive" for plastics, rubber or newspaper? Clothing designs in the 1940's were altered to reduce "trimmings" so that America wasn't generating unnecessary waste of materials. As conservation efforts for wars have been disregarded, I admit I'm confused why our country still practices this ritual. (Except Arizona, which must still have confusion when calling people in other states.)

Maybe our government leaders just insist on messing with the inner clocks of today's kids since they endured it and survived. Maybe a bill can't be passed to stop the clock shuffles because getting anything passed in D.C. is such a challenge. Or maybe they can't all agree on that either!

However boggled my mind gets on why we do the things we do, now that I'm typically up before sunrise and I yearn to be outside as long as possible - and I just hate being cold - changing my clocks an hour ahead is a chore I now look forward to doing.

More daylight hours means more sunlight and more warmth. Warmth outside, inside and on the deck.

I now love to change the clocks. It symbolizes the changing seasons. Though I am not an advocate of Winter, I am assured that the sun is returning and all will be well again. It is the promise of renewal and reminds me that even cold temperatures, in time, shall pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment