Thursday, September 17, 2009

Room for Change

I love planning things. Planning for a change is fun - anything is possible when a plan begins forming. It's exciting!

When the work begins, it can simply stay exciting or it can become challenging. Some challenges are fun, yet some are daunting. The worst result is when the plans don't go well, problems can't be solved... then, oh no, it becomes a disappointment.

A house typically needs a change. Maybe wallpaper needs to go. Perhaps that front room carpet cannot tolerate any more visitors. A faucet never cared for can become too corroded to function properly. With a house, there is always something that needs to change.

Our house, however, needs lots of change. LOTS.

So far, we have updated the master bedroom, pantry and main entrance. We are now tackling the Mudroom. Changing floor tiles. Changing the wall colors. Changing the cabinets... and adding more. My favorite? Changing the mirror. (No, my favorite has not been the sponge painting!)

This mudroom is not only a washroom off the deck, it is the laundry room and the only bathroom on the main floor. Any visitor, well any proper visitor who enjoys a drink or two and stays to chat, will see this room. And there is plenty of room for change within those walls.

I know myself well enough by now that when I change a room, I am also trying to make an improvement to myself.

Painting walls is such a quick result and has the potential to be such a drastic change. Immediate gratification. Yet how often would you paint if touch-ups were needed every day? Once a week? Once a month? Would you put it off until a wall crumbles?

Most self-improvements do require attention every day. Some days need more attention than others.

Like a crumbling wall, one thing happening (or not happening) can make us feel like we are falling apart. To strengthen ourselves, we do need to do something every day. Even if it's small, one activity to "improve" our every day.

Just over a year ago, I was blessed to attend a course through The Pacific Institute. We had to write affirmations. Straight away I pictured Stuart Smalley (Saturday Night Live). "Dog-gone it, people like me." But then, look at Senator Al Franken now. I wonder if he gives any credit to affirmations for his current success.

This was actually quite a difficult task for me. What can you say to yourself every day that matters and helps but is always relevant? Of course, you can always change an affirmation at any time. But, like the walls in a room, you need to focus on what needs attention now. Internal repair and supports take longer.

Once you write a statement - just one sentence - that encourages you and empowers you... you must then read it. Every day.

I have a few sentences, on different aspects that need my daily attention. And I have them stored in multiple places. They (or it, if you are starting small) need to be available to you.

Put one by your breakfast items. Put one on or around your bathroom mirror. Put one in your checkbook or with your debit card.

Give yourself a boost to improve every day... then paint a wall, replace a painting or change the curtains. If you can do them together, you'll be upgrading so much more than your home's interior. Give yourself the attention, maintenance and changes that you think your surroundings need. And leave some room for growth and change.

1 comment:

  1. Great food for thought, Marni. The only "affirmation" I can think of that I keep coming back to is, "You are stronger than you think you are." This always seems to be true, but it's a good idea to remind yourself occasionally.

    Sometimes I think we spend so much time trying improving the things around us just so we can avoid improving what's right in front of us.

    ReplyDelete