Friday, September 11, 2009

Temporary Change?

September 11, 2001. Evil attacked and lives were lost. People changed and New York's skyline drastically changed.

I was pregnant with Hope at the time and had a scheduled doctor's appointment/sonogram. I know that my view of my child's life altered that day. I became more fearful of her future, yet at the same time, more hopeful. Her world would be different from mine, and she and her generation hold the keys to control how it goes.

She wasn't even born, and I didn't even know she was a girl, but I had my first feelings of not being able to control her world. That power lies in her and those that she grows up with. That changed how I felt about her, this little individual. That view changed back when she was born and we had to take care of "our little baby."

I think back to the week following the terror attacks. The silence of the skies - which was just eerie. I recall all the people who took time off of work or put off "overtime" because that day forced us all to focus on our friends and family. Life is temporary - terror or no terror. That reality caused so many people to change their priorities. For that weekend, anyway.

"Remember 9-11." I embrace the phrase. But like birthdays, Christmas, and other annual events, how many people physically carry the changes that happened that day with them? How many people thought "I must spend more time with the people I love!"... and then slowly let it slide after a couple weeks? Changing back to habits, typical daily or weekly tasks.

When tragedy strikes, it can change your life completely. You can make a vow - "I will never do that again" or "From now on, this will be different..." But do you always carry through? Always?

What makes a change temporary? What makes a change resonate in everything that you do? Even if we have great intentions, what ultimately causes the difference? Can we control it?

Reminders are beautiful - even if they are sad. The more we remember, the more it can change us. But we have to let it in, focus on it and let it become part of who we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment