Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Physical Changes

Weight and body image have always been and continue to be struggles for me.  I am currently, however, in the best shape of my life... but I work damn hard at it.  I am finally learning how to accept compliments.

As a teen, I developed quickly and had no pride of my physical appearance.  Becoming a grown woman, I battled with changes in my metabolism.  When I was (finally) pregnant with my daughter, I was nauseous the entire first trimester and consumed each brand of cracker on the market to settle my stomach... leading me to gain 40 pounds, and had a 4 pound baby.

I have no desire to tell anyone what "works."  I am not perfect and am not at all an expert in health nor fitness.  I DO believe that everyone's body is different and what is effective for one individual will not necessarily be the best option for another.  And I DO advocate that you have to find what works for you.

For me, that became running (for the second time).  In my 20s, I ran a little, but with Midwest weather and when I working full-time, it fell by the wayside.  When Hope was three years old, however, I became more committed to it. Running two to three times per week, I splurged on a treadmill so that rain and freezing temperatures could no longer lead to excuses.

I've also studied Pilates and Yoga so that as muscles are developed, I can also maintain flexibility.  Another belief shared by most: you need to do more than one style.  It keeps your workouts from becoming mundane and it helps develop multiple muscle areas rather than just toning like just your legs all the time. Now that I am leading a dance fitness class, I am able to select the routines that target all areas of the body.

When I went back to work full-time, I began getting up at 4:50 a.m. to exercise.  It was hard.  It's still hard to do.  But it's my priority, so I make it happen.  My largest blessing, though is that working by the Capitol, I get the advantages of all sorts of additional workout sessions!  Since I am still "new in town," I am still working on finding a public place to hold my own fitness classes.  Yet, I at least get to provide dance fitness to state employees... which I LOVE. 

When it comes to nutrition, anyone who knows me knows that I eat.  Moving to Austin, I cut down a lot - when you cook for one, it's seldom elaborate!  Again, I want to say that what one person finds successful for his/her body type will not necessarily work for another.  A few things that I truly hope my readers will respect if they do not agree: I will not become a vegetarian because I love seafood, I appreciate chicken, and I will not give up the option to eat bacon.  I only eat red meat about once every couple of months.  I avoid "fast food" as much as possible.  All in moderation. (Refer to my "There will always be cookies" blog!)

I am sharing this is because this is the third time in my life that I have actually felt pretty "good" about where I am physically.  While I get nervous about it because I don't want to get comfortable, I remember that it's never, ever too late to instill your own improvements in how you value your health.  There will be failures and days you don't do as well.  Just like falling, however, it's okay as long as you pick yourself back up.  Start small, build, and most of all - be patient.  With age, hormone changes and health issues, weight fluctuates. I am growing in my self value, and I refuse to let it slip ever again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment